Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Where the Bouys Are

 I painted this on a beautiful morning at Owl's Head, Maine. I joined some other wonderful artists. To see more of our day, continue below.

Soft pastel. 13" x 11"
SOLD

I was delighted for the opportunity to do some plein air painting recently. We were surrounded by the sights, smells, and sounds of the sea. Could you ask for a better place to paint?

 I was honored to join Carol Marine,





And Bruce McMillan, unofficial photographer for the day. Thanks, Brucie, for sharing your medium of choice, photography.


We began the day at beautiful Owl's Head. I am relatively new to plein air painting so brought along my familiar pastels and while the others painted the scenery, I stuck with still life. Much easier than trying to capture moving boats!


After a morning of painting and a lunch of shared stories and laughs, we moved on to Spruce Point.


 I spotted a swatch of bright red berries amid the cool gray granite. If it were an oil painting, this attempt would be wiped! 


Painters Pondering. The same 'tilt' of our heads cracks me up.


Barefoot Painters. It was a blissful day of shared camaraderie. A pleasure to have painted with you all.

(With thanks to and all photos courtesy of Bruce McMillan.)

2 comments:

Anita Tresslar said...

I have been to Casco Bay for 3 workshops and loved it. I like the way you documented the time through photos. Your pastels are great and I'm sure you will conquer oils if you decide to.

Stephanie Berry said...

Great posting Brenda. Love all the photos. Your buoys are super!