Saturday, April 13, 2013

You Occupy My Thoughts

I love the challenge of painting reflective surfaces. This little vase was sort of burnished so the reflection was softer. I looked up the significance of purple violets and it means you occupy my thoughts. Isn't that a sweet sentiment? I painted the background (see images below), then realized I wouldn't be able to get the violet shadows as dark as I wanted so I used a cloth and a bit of mineral spirits to wipe down to the black again. Next I put in the dark shadows, then the rest of the flowers and highlights. Here's some very sexy painting music and probably one on my 'desert island' playlist.
Oil on panel, 6" x 6", $100 + $10 domestic shipping




 
or contact brenda@brendaferguson.com

2 comments:

suzanneberry said...

beautiful! thanks for the process shots.

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Appreciate the process and your thoughts of why you made the changes, love the sentiments of violets too!