Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pure Peach



I'm really pleased with how this one turned out. I wanted to be confident enough to go dark. I love the drama of that high contrast, so I began with a black background and my intent was to remain dark enough in the shadows, that the lights really popped. Sometimes all goes as I envisioned and this was one of those joyous times! 
Thought I'd share the steps with you.
As I said, I began with a background of black gesso that was dry.

I placed my peaches where I wanted them and began with my lightest/brightest colors. Wow! You can already see the drama begin to develop.

I continued to add color and develop the form of the fruit. 

I was happy to see the peaches really beginning to glow. My plan was working.

On to the background. A few tweaks...and the piece is finished.
Oil on panel, 6" x 6", $100 (with free display easel) + shipping
or contact brenda@brendaferguson.com

5 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

This painting is so successful, Brenda. I enlarged it on my screen so I could better see all the movement in your brushstrokes and W-O-W ... it is amazing. That little black edge on the upper right peach, right next to the vibrant highlight had me with my nose to the screen (kind of like when I see a Van Gogh in person - I love it from afar, but can't resist coming right up to it). I am sure you are very, very excited about this one. The demo, for me, is just icing on an already delicious cake cake. Thank you for sharing it. Carolina

Fay Terry said...

Hey Brenda, terrific painting-I love it. I should call you the Drama Queen (in a good way of course). I'm so glad you shared the steps. What did you use to draw with?
Sometimes I feel like I'm in a rut and this will be something new to try. Thanks for sharing.

Angeli said...

Brenda,
Wow, those peaches look positively juicy! Don't you just want to take a bite?? Nice work!
By the way, my third graders will be learning about warm and cool colors next week and painting sunflowers. Would it be okay with you if I show them a few of your sunflower paintings? They are great examples of how those warm colors pop out against a cool background!
Happy painting today!

suzanneberry said...

juicy, tasty and bold! beautiful and a joy to watch it grow on the canvas.

ACrews said...

Great demo! I love your work!