Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Red Red Rose

All it took was Valentine's Day (There were red roses in the house! My daughter's, not mine) and Qiang Huang's challenge to inspire this one. I've never painted roses before. Probably because I thought they'd be difficult...I was right. I intended a different background, but as I got going, it was fun to try and separate the two red shades, of the background and the rose itself, by adjusting one to be slightly cooler than the other. I'll save my other background plan for another rose...another day. I had a grand time with this one!
Oil on panel, 6" x 6"
SOLD

6 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

One fun thing I love about this is that you can focus on the beautiful red stem. Such fun shapes in it!

Kathy Mallat said...

Wow...wow...WOW!

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Love the red on red. You did such a great job bringing the rose out of the background.

Ricardo said...

A spectacular job very real, light colors, very good job, congratulations, greetings.

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda. I am new to your work but am starting to follow the challenge. I will jump in when I can. My comment is that your rose is outstanding...the red on red makes it shine and be something very special. I will continue to follow you. Helen Moreda

Evhe said...

Since I have seen this rose, i can't forget it!
It is a spectacular painting! I love it!